Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A PRAYER FOR GOD'S CAUSE

Our prayer focus this week at Generations is for the lost. We are praying for the unreached, the nations, this nation, our own city and for those in our spheres of influence who do not know that what makes for peace (Luke 19:42). We are asking God to give us a deeper love for His lost sons and daughters and for Him to give us persistence in praying for them and boldness to bear witness to the truth of the gospel. Here is another prayer from the treasure trove that is The Valley of Vision. This is a prayer for God's Cause, again adjusting language for readability:

            SOVEREIGN GOD,
            Your cause, not my own, engages my heart,
                   and I appeal to you with greatest freedom
                   to set up your kingdom in every place where Satan reigns;
            Glorify yourself and I shall rejoice,
                   for to bring honor to your name is my sole desire.
            I adore you that you are God,
                   and long that others should know it, feel it,
                          and rejoice in it.
            O that all men might love and praise you,
                   that you might have all glory from the intelligent world!
            Let sinners be brought to you for your dear name!
            To the eye of reason everything respecting the conversion of others
                   is as dark as midnight,
            But you can accomplish great things;
                   the cause is yours,
                   and it is your glory that men should be saved.
            Lord, use me as you will;
                   do with me what you will;
                   but, O, promote your cause,
                   let your kingdom come,
                   let your blessed interest be advanced in this world!
            O do you bring in great numbers to Jesus!
                          let me see that glorious day,
                               and give me grasp for multitudes of souls;
                          let me be willing to die to that end;
                               and while I live let me labour for you
                                    to the utmost of my strength
                                    spending time profitably in this work,
                                    both in health and in weakness.
            It is thy cause and kingdom I long for, not my own.

            O, God, answer my request! (The Valley of Vision, God's Cause, p.177)      

No comments:

Post a Comment