Friday, August 16, 2013

A QUESTION TO PIERCE YOUR HEART

A conversation between an old man who had survived major persecution for his faith in Jesus and an American missionary seeking to understand how faith in Christ flourishes amidst suffering:
"I thank God and take great joy in knowing that I was suffering in prison and in my country, so that you, Nik, could be free to share Jesus in Kentucky."
"Oh, no!" I protested. "No! You are not going to do that! You are NOT going to put that on me. That is a debt so large that I can never repay you!"
"Son, that's the debt of the cross!" He leaned forward and poked me in the chest with his finger as he continued, "Don't you steal my joy! I took great joy that was suffering in me country, so that you could be free to witness in your country." 
Then he raised his voice in a prophet-like challenge that I knew would live with me forever: "Don't ever give up in freedom what we would never have given up in persecution!" (Nik Ripken, The Insanity of God, p. 195-196)
If that doesn't pierce your soul you need to read it again. And then let this question confront you which has haunted me today, in both my head and heart: Have I willingly and weakly forfeited in freedom that which this man and so many other people have refused to surrender in the face of the worst forms of suffering and persecution? 

No comments:

Post a Comment