Tuesday, June 4, 2013

CHERISH YOUR CHILDREN

My wife and I experienced some extreme emotional swings this weekend. Our oldest son turned 12-years-old on Friday. We had a friend of his over for a fun-filled weekend, celebrating his life and creating some memories. Friday night was a laid back movie night followed by a morning drive up to Helen, Ga. about an hour and half away to go tubing with some more friends. Because of the recent rains in Georgia the river was the highest it's ever been for us and it moved at a brisk pace. The weather was beautiful and the boys enjoyed every minute of it.

We went home that afternoon. Betsy took a couple of them to a dollar theatre movie that evening while Dylan and I went to the Braves game. Sitting in traffic en route to the game, Betsy called me to share with me that one of our other son's classmate died of leukemia the day before. Josiah is in second grade and his friend missed a large portion of the fall semester due to treatment. He returned for the Spring and seemed to be doing well until he missed the last couple days of school. Josiah mentioned he was gone and was a little concerned but nothing prepares a 7-year-old boy for the news of his friend dying. 


It doesn't make sense to us adults so I can only imagine the confusion in a second grade mind. Betsy told him the news and talked him through it. She held him as he cried, not really knowing what to say. We went to church on Sunday, enjoyed the fellowship of God's people, had friends over lunch and an hour break before our gospel community group came over. In that hour, we received a call about another friend of ours, a fellow pastor in metro-Atlanta. They are a precious family with six children that have served Jesus faithfully for many years and are really just now seeing the best fruit of their time in ministry. Their youngest child, a 2-year-old boy, tragically drowned and died on Saturday. This is the second child this family has buried. Betsy and I hugged and prayed and cried. 

We had our friends over that evening, enjoyed some time in the Scriptures and were encouraged in the Lord. Then Betsy took Josiah to the wake to honor his friend and classmate. He was strong, said goodbye, and then went outside where he cried some more in his mother's arms. 

Monday was the big day the boy's had all looked forward to. We were going to Six Flags over Georgia and they were going to ride roller coasters and whatever else. This was a new experience for them and for us - our first trip as a family to an amusement park. We were blessed with incredible weather and low attendance that may ruin every future visit to theme parks. We walked onto to almost every ride all day with no wait. Every coaster was a new and exciting thrill and every water ride put pure joy on their faces. It was everything we could have hoped the day would be. Betsy and I just kept looking at each other, finding joy in their joy. 

On the drive home, checking email on my phone, we received the details for our other friend's memorial service. It's tomorrow night. The joy of the afternoon was tempered by the pain in our hearts for our friends. How fortunate we were to have had that day, each of those moments, and every moment before them. How rich we are to have any moments after them. How gracious God is to entrust these children to our care. 

The sting of death is very real right now. Even more real for the families that experienced these losses. My heart aches and as someone who talks to much I have no words, only groaning. But it has helped me to cherish the disobedience of my children, the frustration of their foolishness, and the inconveniences of their messes. Today, I cherish their complaining and their bickering, their irresponsibility and immaturity, their unruliness and stubbornness. 

Don't get me wrong - those things don't dominate the lives of my children or our family. But I tend to blow them out of proportion in my head and heart. I get impatient, frustrated, angry and annoyed. I am sure I will again. But right now I simply cherish them... everything about them. I am so grateful for their lives and their health. I don't want to fall into the trap of taking any moment for granted so this a reminder for you and for me: cherish you children... cherish every moment, every hug, every tear, every joke, every mistake, every smile, every meal, every memory.  

No comments:

Post a Comment