Wednesday, May 1, 2013

GRACE-BASED MARRIAGE

"When I got married, I didn't understand grace. I had a principle-istic view of Scripture that caused me to bring a law economy into my marriage. The central focuse of the bible is not a set of practical-life principles. No, the central theme of the Bible is a person, Christ. If all you and I had needed was a knowledge and understanding of a certain set of God-revealed principles for living, Jesus would not have needed to come. I think there are many Christians living in Christless marriages. Without knowing what they have done, they have constructed a law-based rather than a grace-based marriage, and because of this, they are asking the law to do what only grace can accomplish.

"The problem with this is that we are not just people in need of wisdom; we are also people in need of rescue, and the thing that we need to be rescued from is us" (Paul Tripp, What Did You Expect?, 64).

No comments:

Post a Comment